Get Buzzed with Doug Chernack
At Buzzy Rocket we are lucky to know lots of smart super cool people. We’d like you to get to know them too. In the Get Buzzed series we ask a smart super cool person 10 questions and share their responses.
So let’s Get Buzzed.
Get Buzzed with Doug Chernack, Co-Founder Awkward Family Photos
Meet Doug Chernack
Doug is one of the most awkward guys we know. In 2009, he started the website Awkward Family Photos with high school friend, Mike Bender. Today, the two-time Webby Award-winning blog receives millions of monthly visitors and submissions from around the world. The brand has grown to include two NY Times Bestselling books, greeting cards, calendars, a board game, and a traveling museum exhibition.
Doug is also a producer and writer who has created shows for E, Fox Sports, and The Golf Channel, and wrote feature film screenplays for Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema.
1. Tell us about your professional responsibilities in layman’s terms.
I manage the AFP website, work with partners and develop new ideas to expand the brand.
2. What motivates you to get out of bed in the morning?
It’s always fun to see what submissions are waiting for us in the inbox.
3. What is the one mobile device you can’t live without?
4. What is the first app you check every day?
5. How do you use mobile in your professional life?
I use it to track our audience statistics via google analytics. I track how our posts are doing on facebook and instagram. And I use it to text and email all day.
6. How do you use mobile in your personal life?
I have two young kids so I’m always taking pictures and videos of them (my son gets annoyed. my daughter loves it)…checking sports scores with my son and watching surprise egg videos with my daughter.
7. How does mobile impact your business?
Mobile impacts us heavily. We receive more than half of our traffic via mobile and that number continues to grow. We also work on a lot of branded campaigns and more and more companies are focused on our social and mobile platforms so we’re always thinking of ways to optimize the experience.
8. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?
I’m not sure if this is a superpower but being able to predict the future would be helpful. I always feel like I’m three steps behind so it would be nice to actually be ahead of things for once.
9. What is your most favorite place that you have visited?
10. Is there anything else you would like to share?
I’m trying to increase my water intake this year. I’m up to 4 glasses a day. Just thought I’d share that.