10 Tips for Google AdWords
By Debbie Cline, Co-Founder of Buzzy Rocket
Did you know that more than 50 percent of people can’t differentiate between a paid ad and an organic result (not paid for) when they view search results on Google? What does this mean? That half of all people assume that you are at the top simply because you are the best. The top 3 ad spots get more than half of the total clicks on that results page.
How does Google decide what sponsored ads you see at the top of the page in your search results? Google AdWords.
Google AdWords is their online advertising platform that helps businesses reach customers across the globe and grow their business. Through this pay-per-click (also known as PPC – the company only pays only when a visitor clicks on the ad) network, advertisers pay Google to target users based on their keyword search, the country and device type and deliver their ads to users who are interested in their products or services.
The Google AdWords marketplaces work like an auction where people bid for clicks. However, it’s not necessary that the highest bid wins. Apart from money, Google also considers the quality score to ensure that the people clicking on the ads have the best possible experience.
Not sure where to start? Here are some of the basics:
- Target buying-intent keywords. Focus on buying-intent versus research intent keywords.
- Group keywords into Ad Groups of similar phrases. Remember that all keywords in a particular Ad Group will use the same ad copy, ensuring that your ad copy will make sense for all of them.
- Set your match type. By default Google Ads will set your keywords to broad match. Phrase match keywords so that Google Ads displays your ads for any search that includes your keyword phrase versus any any keyword Google deems relevant.
- Use negative keywords. Remember to specify words or phrases that you do not want to target with your ads.
- Include core keywords in your ad copy. Make sure the keyword phrase that you’re targeting in the Ad Group is in your ads. This will help your scores and will almost always increase your click-through rates.
- Include a compelling offer and call to action in your ads. Be realistic – if you saw the ad would you click on it? No ad will work without a strong offer.
- Set up all appropriate ad extensions. When possible use all of these extensions to allow for the best ad position at lower cost: Location, Call, Sitelink, Callout, Structured Snippet
- Use landing pages that are relevant for the keywords and ads. Advertise to an offer specific landing page so you can quickly make edits to improve conversion rates. Have the ad matching offer front and center on the page
- Create separate Search and Display campaigns. They are different (high level, search is pull and display is push) and require a separate campaign to properly optimize your ads.
- Set up conversion tracking. Webform conversion tracking to measure how many forms are submitted on your website as a result of your ads. Website call conversion tracking to measure how many phone calls are generated from your website as a result of your ads. Ad call conversion tracking to measure how many phone calls are generated from the number displayed on your ads. Offline conversion tracking to measure offline sales (phone calls or in-person sales) generated as a result of your ads.
At Buzzy Rocket we're passionate about supporting startups. Whether you are a client or not, we want to support your vision and your growth. We know first hand how exciting, difficult, fun, and lonely it can be to bring your vision to life. Contact us for more information about how we can support your startup and/or if you want to be considered for the Founder Spotlight Series.
Debbie is co-founder, chief of customer success at Buzzy Rocket and yellow lab lover. From LA to London, she is well known as an expert in creating that certain elusive magic that drives explosive growth at the intersection of companies, customers and mobile. She has proven strategic vision, and isn’t afraid to get in the trenches. In fact, she’s been doing this at companies big and small for 25+ years. Her background includes executive level positions at both public companies and startups where she has proven over and over again that her passion, drive and results oriented perspective get it done. She is tenacious, loves the game changer and loves to win.
Like to be in the know?
Sign up below and receive our weekly Lowdown.